SUSE is one of the most powerful commercial Linux distributions available for physical, cloud, and virtual platforms. Those who have been around in Linux platform, they definitely would have worked in SUSE at some point in their time since SUSE can be seen on several applications and appliances, specially developed in Germany and Europe. It sounds incomplete if you don’t put your hands on this distribution. Let’s see how to install SUSE Linux on VMWare Workstation. Well, you can install the SUSE Linux directly on your local machine, however it is good to try on the virtual machine. Because, incomplete installation may lose the data on your hard drive.
What Is SUSE Linux?
SUSE stands for “Software und System-Entwicklung” meaning “software and systems development” in German. It is one of the most powerful Linux distributions originated in German. It is developed on the same free and open-source Linux kernel used in Red Hat Enterprise Linux and inhered the same RPM packages into its repositories. It comes in both commercial and free versions, SUSE released its commercial product as SUSE Enterprise Linux. And, it has released openSUSE as a open-source product. Please visit their official website for more details.
Prerequisites To Install SUSE Linux On VMWare Workstation:
- A host system with minimum:
- 8 GB of memory
- A quad core CPU
- 500 GB of Hard Drive
- VMWare Workstation Pro or Player application:0
- SUSE Linux ISO image is to install on VMWare Workstation.
- Download SUSE Linux
How To Install SUSE Linux On VMWare Workstation?
Time needed: 30 minutes.
How to Install SUSE Linux on VMWare Workstation?
- Fire up VMWare Workstation
- Select Custom Configuration Wizard
- Select Virtual Machine Hardware Compatibility
- Select the Operating System Media
- Select Guest Operating System
- Name the Virtual Machine Name and location
- Allocate the Processors
- Allocate the Memory for Virtual Machine
- Choose the Network Configuration
- Select the I/O Controller Type
- Select Disk Type
- Select Virtual Disk
- Select Disk Capacity
- Browse the Virtual Disk File
- Click Finish
- Supply SUSE ISO Image to Virtual Machine
- Power On the Virtual Machine
- Start Up The Quest Operating System
- Press F3
- Select – INSTALLATION
- Add-On Product Installation – Click Next
- Loading Basic Drivers – Waite
- Initializing Network Configuration – Waite
- Language , Keyboard and Product Selection (English (US) – Tick SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15 SP3 – Click Next
- Tick – I Agree to the Licese Terms – Click Next
- Network Settings – Click Next
- System Probing – Waite
- Registration – Tick Skip Registration – Click Next
- Extension ad Module Selection Screen – Select All – Click Next
- Adding a New Repository – Waite
- Initializing Screen – Waite
- Suggested Partitioning – Click Next
- Clock and Time Zone – Region (USA), Time Zone (Eastern New York) – Click Next
- Local User – User Full Name, User Name, Password , Confirm Password – Tick (Use this password for system administrator , Automatic Login) – Click Next
- Installation Settings Screen
- Installation Settings – Click Install
- Confirm Installation – Click Install
- Installation in progress… Please wait for some time.
- Booting in progress, please wait for some time.
- SUSE desktop is getting prepared….
- First login screen of SUSE Enterprise Linux
- Activate the SUSE Enterprise Linus in this activities screen